[mapserver-users] Looking for advice for OGC Services Server hardware requirements

James Card James.Card at calcad.com
Wed Mar 10 08:15:38 EST 2010

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 03:20:35 -0800, David Alda Fernandez de Lezea
<dalda at ikt.es> wrote:

>  So, our doubts have to do with the following subjects:
>  - Processor
>  - RAM Memory
>  - HDD (we know that has to be large, i.e. 1TB - 2TB)
>  - Number of network adapters (is advisable to have more than one?)
>  - Which OS is best for MapServer, Linux or Windows 2003 (in terms of
> performance)
>  - Other suggestions...
>
> IMPORTANT: Take into account that this is going to be at PRODUCTION
> LEVEL.

I'm relatively new to MapServer so my experience is pretty limited. One of
the tests we did was on a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop that dual-booted
Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop. On that machine our MapServer
application ran about 14% faster on Linux than when running Windows. The
limiting factor was CPU time.

Our production server has 4GB of RAM and runs Windows Server 2008 64-bit.
It provides good performance for our MapServer application, but it is not
under heavy load and our data-set is less than one-tenth the size of yours.

Multiple network connections sounds like a good plan to ensure that you
can get data from your Oracle server quickly enough.

--
James Card
California CAD Solutions, Inc.