[mapserver-users] Re: choosing region of interest using "referencemap"

Ludwig Kniprath ludwig at kni-online.de
Sun Mar 28 07:49:14 EDT 2010

We implemented such a feature with Javascript and PHP-Mapscript.
Serverside (Mapscript):
- Get extent (reference_map->extent) and
- size of reference-map-image (reference_map->width,
reference_map->height, pixel),
- Calculate the cellsize (meter per pixel),
- return these values to the client-browser (with Ajax f. e.).
(Hint: if you know these values and they don't change, you can also
hard-code them in javascript)

Clientside Javascript:
- register mouse-down and mouse-up-events for the reference-map,
- get mouse-down and mouse-up cursor-positions of these events relativ
to the upper-left corner of the reference-map (pixel),
- calculate the real-world-coordiantes of the events with
cursor-position, cellsize and the real-world-coordiantes of the
upper-left reference-map-corner => new extent,
- call the new map-image (and the new reference-map-image) for this extent.

Ludwig