[mapserver-users] Amazon EC2 vs. Collocation/Dedicated servers

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Nov 3 09:57:20 EDT 2010

Hi Adam,

we use mapserver on Amazon EC2 instances with some success.  The instances themselves seem decently spec'd for mapserver usage, although we have found that the medium high-cpu instances do seem to be more cost effective than normal instances.

The biggest detractor with the cloud is storage.  Basically you get a limited amount of ephemeral storage (it disappears when the machine is terminated) with each instance.  You can attach EBS volumes of up to 1 TB.  The I/O on local and EBS storage is not great but its okay.  The problems start when you want to use multiple machines sharing some form of storage.  For us, we have several TB of tiles cached and we want to be able to serve up tiles and dynamic map draws.  The tile cache is also not complete so it needs to generate tiles on demand.  Finally, we have a lot of data that is used in the maps, more than will fit on the ephemeral storage of a medium instance.  We used to use several 1TB EBS volumes mounted on a single instance, shared via NFS to all the map servers but we ran into periodic locking problems that brought the whole thing down.  We recently switched to use glusterfs which is an excellent open source product and allows us to essentially have a SAN where all our data can appear seamlessly to all our machines as a single volume even though it spans several EBS volumes.  The problem with this is that map draws accessing data via gluster are several times slower than using locally stored data.  Longer individual map draws were not acceptable so now we are working on co-locating the data with the map servers and using the shared storage for tiles and a master copy of the data.

One of the advantages of EC2 is that you can bring up extra computing power on demand (either manually or programmatically).  Unfortunately, having to copy the data locally to the machines negates this advantage as it takes several hours to copy and extract the data - not exactly real-time response to changing load on the system :(

Of course, its also hard to be responsive if you have colocated hardware.  Overall, despite the problems with I/O bandwidth and managing our large datasets I think EC2 has done well for us and we could not have provided the same from dedicated hardware within the same budget.

Cheers

Paul