[mapserver-users] map file paths

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Wed Nov 3 21:20:54 EDT 2010

Basically what I do is copy and rename mapserv.exe to some name I want in
the URL.  Then, if a request goes to that file, set the MS_MAPFILE variable
to the relevant map file.  This has worked well for me so far.

For example, my organization recently published our 15th geologic map of out
state.  I want people to refer to it as geomap15.  Therefore, I copied and
renamed mapserv.exe to geomap15 (no exe extension, file still in cgi-bin
directory).  Then, I have the following in my httpd.conf file:

SetEnvIf Request_URI "/cgi-bin/geomap15"
MS_MAPFILE=C:/pathtomapfile/geomap15.map

My URLs then look something like: http://maps.dgs.udel.edu/cgi-bin/geomap15?

(This map file in action here:
http://www.dgs.udel.edu/datasets/dgs-geologic-map-no-15-georgetown-quadrangle-dataset
)

- John

John Callahan, Research Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware