[mapserver-users] dynamic coloring in mapserver?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Nov 4 17:33:58 EDT 2010

Mukesh

    As Bob pointed out you can "over-ride" the color in mapserver's map
configuration file with a CGI variable.  You can also have the STYLE
object in the map configuration file reference a color value stored as
an attribute value in the DBF.  See http://mapserver.org/mapfile/style.html:

COLOR [r] [g] [b] | [attribute]

        *

          Color to use for drawing features.

        *

          [/Attribute/] was introduced in version 5.0, to specify the
          item name in the attribute table to use for color values. The
          hard brackets [] are required. For example, if your
          /shapefile/'s DBF has a field named "MYCOLOR" that holds color
          values for each record, your STYLE object for might contain:

          STYLE
             COLOR  [MYCOLOR]
             OUTLINECOLOR  150  150  150
          END

Or better yet store the geometry and attributes in a PostGIS database to
avoid any file/record locking problems if you want the user to be able
to persistently change the value.

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser