[mapserver-users] MapServer as WMS

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Nov 11 08:36:41 EST 2010

Hi,

Let's hope this is correct information. MAP-WEB-METADATA-"wms_srs" is listing the projections which are supported for the whole service. Individual layers may give more projections if they are given in LAYER-METADATA.

If there is not wms_extent set on LAYER metadata Mapserver is trying to calculate it for you on-the-fly. At least older versions did not do that for tileindex layers, and with some database sources querying the extents may be slow and especially with Oracle very slow, so giving extents in the metadata may be a good idea.

BBOX in the WMS GetMap is always in the output projection so yes, you need to have some conversion in your planned system.

Finally, you will need some code of your own ot to use a ready made client for making WIDTH and HEIGHT proportional to BBOX.  WMS is accepting anything and projects the output to fit the request.

-Jukka Rahkonen-