RE: RE: RE: [mapserver-users] Gauss-Krüger

Daiane Fraga daiane.a.fraga at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 05:58:34 EST 2010

Hi,

Thanks for the answers!
I'll gather all the information and I'll try to adapt to my problem.
I'll post more information about the problem when I get some results or when
I get more information.
Thank you very much for the help!

Daiane Fraga

From: Jan Hartmann <j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl>
Date: 2010/11/16
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] Gauss-Krüger
To: Daiane Fraga <daiane.a.fraga at gmail.com>
Cc: Fuchs Juan Carlos <jfuch at indec.mecon.gov.ar>,
mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org

 If your map is from 1908, there is a change that its projection is not in
the official modern EPSG table. In that case you need to derive the whole
PROJ4 definition from the legend of the map. As a rule, this is not
difficult, as the theoretical definitions of the common projection have been
known for a long time, it's just a matter of discovering which particular
set of parameters has been chosen for this map. In my experience with old
Dutch maps the main difficulty is finding out which ellipsoid has been used.
In your case, a map of 1908 can in no way have had a WGS84 datum. You
probably have to project it to a modern projection with the original
ellipsoid, and from that to WGS84.

Can you give any details of the maps you are working with and whether their
legends say something said about the projection? Are they part of a larger
map series?

Jan