[mapserver-users] Re: mapserver and i18n

tellett thomas.ellett at statkart.no
Wed Nov 17 07:24:17 EST 2010

Hi all, just wanted to update you on this and the mapserver INSPIRE work in
general.

The latest version of the 'Technical Guidance to implement INSPIRE View
Services' has been out for a while. whether its the final doc or not I can't
say, but they have at least focused in on which attributes and service calls
should support multilingualism.  The document now says that the metadata
elements 'title', 'abstract' and 'description' are mandatory to be
translated if other languages are offered and that multilingual service
level error messages and multilingual getfeature and getmap operations are
optional.

To implement the optional elements, the document suggests replacing the
operation-online-resources in each language specific
GetCapabilities-Response by a specific operation-online-resource for that
language. I presume this is so the getmap and getfeatureinfo specifications
don't have to be extended with the 'language' parameter in requests.

Because only titles, abstracts and descriptions are mandatory to be
translated if multiple languages are supported, I'm guessing (loosely) that
we could implement any one of a number of solutions to solve this. However,
multilingualism seems to be something that a greater number of the community
is interested in so perhaps a slightly more overreaching, permanent solution
should be found, one that deals with 3 areas of multilingualism; Back end
data translation, service and dataset metadata translation and service
operation translation. Theres now a trac on the developer list looking at
INSPIRE support for Mapserver: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3608
so I'll add a link there to this discussion and hopefully the developers
will have they're say.

Cheers

Tom