[mapserver-users] Re: EPSG:4326 with WMS 1.3.0

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sun Nov 21 10:38:29 EST 2010

vheurteaux wrote:

> Hello Jukka,

> You said "You may see rotated maps if you open gml vector data returned by
WFS 1.1.0 service with a client than can't handle axis flipping but that is
a client error".

> Do we agree that the server is expected to return a rotated map, and that
the client is expected to put it back in the right orientation?

Not really, I fear. Even WFS server does not send rotated maps, it is sending normally oriented vector maps with coordinates in order northing-easting with some projections. The vector map client is expected to parse the coordinates correctly by following the projection definitions.  For example UTM zones are always easting-northing and WFS output from versions 1.0.0 and 1.1.0 have the same axis order.

> Do we agree that on a client with no such capability (for example when
viewing the image directly in the internet browser), the image in EPSG:4326
shall appear rotated?

WMS is sending images as they should appear on the screen and client is not supposed to do any pixel-by-pixel warping. Only thing that a proper WMS 1.3.0 client need to do is to build BBOX with correct axis order, either easting-northing or northing-easting.  A not-proper WMS 1.3.0 client will build BBOX with wrong axis order (again, with some projections) and get back a north-up image from some other place of the world, not a rotated image.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Cheers
Vincent