[mapserver-users] Shell-script to compile MapServer in a user directory tree

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Fri Oct 8 14:56:20 EDT 2010

  Hi all,

The last few months I have been working in a Cloud environment with lots
of virtual machines, all with MapServer, PostGIS and PL/R. I couldn't
work with binaries, since different sites needed different
configurations. It's not difficult to compile MapServer once you have
done it a few times, but it becomes boring if you need to do it dozens
of times. So I made a shell-script that on the one hand compiles the
whole MapServer-PostGIS-PLR suite with one command, but leaves the
possibility to adapt every configuration parameter. Everything is done
at the user level: no super user rights are needed, no system files are
changed, and the whole installation takes place within a single
directory tree. Multiple installations can coexist on the same
computer.  You can find it, together with instructions, at:

http://mapserver.sara.nl/Install

I tried out four different configurations on dozens of virtual machines,
installed from standard distribution DVD's: Debian, Fedora, Suse and the
OSGEO Live CD (Xubuntu) , so I'm reasonably sure it works on fresh,
modern installation. Older and much-used systems could give trouble,
although I don't expect many problems there either. Let me know if this
is useful for you and how it could be  ameliorated.

Jan