[mapserver-users] Trouble shooting SLD?

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Oct 19 02:52:20 EDT 2010

 Hi,

I have never made a single SLD file myself, just edited something
working that I have found so unfortunately I fear I cannot give very
good advice. I did, however, compare something that works for me and
your SLD file and these are the differences:

My first line has more elements:
<StyledLayerDescriptor version="1.0.0"
xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/sld"
xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml"
xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/sld
http://schemas.opengis.net/sld/1.0.0/StyledLayerDescriptor.xsd">

You have Title, I don't. Hard to believe this is critical, though
<Title>Communities</Title>

Then you are giving the geometry element as

<Geometry>
<PropertyName>Communities</PropertyName>
</Geometry>

I do not have that element at all.  Mapserver documentation says that it
is not supported and I also believe that now it is wrong in your SLD.  I
understand that your SLD is trying to telll now that the geometry of
your layer is stored in a field named "Communities".  By the way, it
might be better to use different names in various places instead of
"Communities" everywhere at least when testing.

Geoserver folks have made a SLD cookbook
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld-cookbook/index.html
it is probably worth reading.

And here is the SLD that I looked at when doing comparison. I took it
out from my working Mapserver layer with GetStyles. Perhaps you could
try the same, style your layer to look good by editing the mapfile and
take the SLD out with GetStyles and you should have a good template in
your hands.

<StyledLayerDescriptor version="1.0.0"
xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/sld"
xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml"
xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/sld
http://schemas.opengis.net/sld/1.0.0/StyledLayerDescriptor.xsd">
<NamedLayer>
<Name>maxspeed_query</Name>
<UserStyle>
<FeatureTypeStyle>
<Rule>
<LineSymbolizer>
<Stroke>
<CssParameter name="stroke">#ff0000</CssParameter>
<CssParameter name="stroke-opacity">1.00</CssParameter>
<CssParameter name="stroke-width">3.00</CssParameter>
</Stroke>
</LineSymbolizer>
</Rule>
</FeatureTypeStyle>