[mapserver-users] Shptree fails with biggish shapefile

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Oct 20 08:21:32 EDT 2010

On 10-10-20 9:07 AM, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been trying to create an index with shptree for a rather big
> shapefile. The size of the .shp part is about 1800 KB. Shptree seems to
> run OK, it does not throw any errors and Windows task manager shows a
> steady growing memory usage. Then shptree stops without warnings and
> memory is freed. Unfortunately no .qix file is written on the disk. I
> made a test by selecting a part of the big shapefile into a smaller one
> and for that I could create .qix index normally. Therefore I believe
> that the data is OK and shptree fails because of the big shapefile size.
> Have anyone else experienced the same and if this perhaps something
> worth creating a new ticket on issue tracker?
> I am still playing with GDAL 1.7.0dev, FWTools 2.4.2, released 2009/06/24.

Note that large dbf/shp support was recently tweaked during the recent
WMS Benchmarking exercise
(http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/Support-for-large-DBF-SHP-files-td5420444.html#a5420444).
  In that case shptree would create a qix file (for a 1.3GB shp) but
MapServer would not draw it and no errors were thrown; this has since
been fixed.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna