[mapserver-users] Problem loading geotifs

David Hill ecodavid at rci.rutgers.edu
Sat Oct 23 16:51:02 EDT 2010

  I am already using offsite to remove black (0,0,0) from the image.
But I don't think the problem is not caused by overlaps in the tiles
because it happens if I only use one tile.

The gdalinfo is:
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Files: p013r032_7p20001020_z18_nn80.tif
Size is 17480, 15488
Coordinate System is:
PROJCS["WGS 84 / UTM zone 18N",
     GEOGCS["WGS 84",
         DATUM["WGS_1984",
             SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
                 AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
             AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
         PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
         UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433],
         AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]],
     PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
     PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
     PARAMETER["central_meridian",-75],
     PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],
     PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],
     PARAMETER["false_northing",0],
     UNIT["metre",1,
         AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]],
     AUTHORITY["EPSG","32618"]]
Origin = (514189.875000000000000,4576366.125000000000000)
Pixel Size = (14.250000000000000,-14.250000000000000)
Metadata:
   TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=72
   TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=72
   TIFFTAG_RESOLUTIONUNIT=2 (pixels/inch)
   AREA_OR_POINT=Point
Image Structure Metadata:
   INTERLEAVE=BAND
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (  514189.875, 4576366.125)
Lower Left  (  514189.875, 4355662.125)
Upper Right (  763279.875, 4576366.125)
Lower Right (  763279.875, 4355662.125)
Center      (  638734.875, 4466014.125)
Band 1 Block=17480x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Gray

I am tiling by using
gdaltindex to create a shapefile of the tiles using a command similar to
gdaltindex tile.shp *.tif

The layer definition is
LAYER
   NAME "landsat"
   METADATA
     "wcs_label" "Landsat 7"
     "wcs_rangeset_name" "Range 1"
     "wcs_rangeset_label" "My Label"
   END
   STATUS OFF
   TYPE RASTER
   TILEINDEX "data/Landsat/ETM/band8/subtiles/tindex.shp"
   TILEITEM "LOCATION"
   OFFSITE 0 0 0

   PROJECTION
     # UTM zone 18
     "init=epsg:26918"
   END

   DUMP TRUE
END

I thought the problem might be caused by the size of the tif files, so I
used gdal_translate to subset the tif files.  I tried it for one landsat
image.  The result was the same.  The top half of the image renders and
the bottom half of the image does not.  I tried multiple subset sizes
ranging from 15x15  which reduces the file size to less than 1% to 1x1
which is the original size.  The result is that the bottom half of the
image won't render in Mapserver.

I attached two images of the problem to this email.
error_originalresolution.png  This file shows a single landsat7 geotif
as downloaded from the USGS archive.  The pixels it is easy to see that
there is a horizontal line running across the pixel which is not in the
same coordinate plane as the image.  Offsite is turned on, so the bottom
half of the pixel renders as transparent.

error_with_subtiles.png  this files shows data from the same landsat7
image as the prior image.  However, these data were rendered in
Mapserver by first dividing the original pixel into 15x15 subtiles and
plotting them.  Only half of each subtile renders.  This leads to a
banded appearance.

I've also noticed that each time I render the data using Mapserver, the
affected region is slightly different.

Thanks for the Help!