[mapserver-users] Best Practices for the Spatial Index with OracleDB 11gR2

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Oct 27 08:14:23 EDT 2010

Hi,

I made a little test and I believe it is just impossible.  Oracle cannot do spatial query for the transformed geometries (centroids) returned by the first SELECT. It cannot find where the centroids are because they are not indexed and the index of the primary table does not help. You can for sure use centroids by pushing them into a new table or column and creating spatial index. There may be some SQL/Oracle trick to do it in some other way, PL/SQL people are doing amazing things but I am not aware of any.

This is the query I used for testing and Oracle messages.  I am not at all sure if this query is OK, but it may be.

SQL> select the_geom from (SELECT SDO_GEOM.SDO_CENTROID(tt.geoloc, 2) AS the_geom, id
     from test_table tt)
     WHERE SDO_ANYINTERACT(the_geom, SDO_GEOMETRY(2003, 2393,
     NULL,SDO_ELEM_INFO_ARRAY(1,1003,3),SDO_ORDINATE_ARRAY(3289429,7024458, 3288529,7026558)))
     = 'TRUE';

select the_geom from (SELECT SDO_GEOM.SDO_CENTROID(gp.geoloc, 2) AS the_geom, id from gis_polygon gp
*
VIRHE rivillä 1:  # error on row 1:
ORA-13226: interface not supported without a spatial index
ORA-06512: at "MDSYS.MD", line 1723
ORA-06512: at "MDSYS.MDERR", line 8
ORA-06512: at "MDSYS.SDO_3GL", line 70
ORA-06512: at "MDSYS.SDO_3GL", line 221