[mapserver-users] FastCGI, MapServer and Apache on Linux

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Sep 1 01:48:10 EDT 2010

On 10-08-31 9:44 PM, Nicolas Chenier wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> I am fairly new at this, and I am seeking help.
>
> We are currently using a MapServer setup with Apache on Linux, supported
> by Tilecache.
>
> Due to the growing number of maps and tiles, we need to cut back on
> caching as we are running out of disk space to store the tilecache.
>
> We would like to use FastCGI to generate tiles on the fly with
> MapServer, Apache and our SDE db connection, all running on Linux.
>
> I am looking for the optimal way to get this setup, using the latest
> Mapserver release with Apache2.
>
> Is there an easy step-by-step guide on getting this setup? I have been
> searching through the web, the mapserver wiki and mailing list without luck.
>
> I am simply looking for the optimal FastCGI configuration settings,
> along with deployment instructions from scratch... doesn't have to be
> too detailed but just an outline of how we should proceed... Does
> anything need to be recompiled with FastCGI support, etc etc...
>
> I really appreciate the help.

Hello,

You will find instructions on this at:
http://www.mapserver.org/optimization/fastcgi.html

If, during your MapServer/FastCGI travels, you have additional notes to
add to the documentation, it would be great if you could file a ticket
on MapServer Trac and record your additional notes there
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/) - if you do not have a login, create
one at: https://www.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/ldap_create_user.py

Happy travels.

-jeff