[mapserver-users] Display performance

Chris Jackson webturtles at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 16:28:43 EDT 2010

Hi

20 secs is from turning the layer on in the interface.  The data is a model
grid as polygons, the file size is about 40mb.  I agree 20secs is too long -
I am a web developer in general and know users are fickle!  The other layers
load v.quickly so happy in general with performance of smaller model grids.

The same layer in an old arcgis server app loads a few secs quicker (from
SDE rather than file) and we just accepted it was just 'one of those things'
and deadlines got in the way - mmm...

The app is living on a reasonable specced server living in a data centre and
the old web app has been serving the offshore renewables industry fine for a
couple of years or so, just have a need to move to an open source solution.
I was trying to get a feel whether moving to PostGIS rather than local file
will speed things up - I get the feeling it is marginal.

Maybe I am missing another processing trick (admittedly I have done minimal
work bar a spatial index).

Thanks for the swift response.
Chris