[mapserver-users] Display performance

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 06:12:12 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:12, Chris Jackson <webturtles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jukka
>
> Thanks for the response and the great investigative work!
> My log entry for drawing the layer is - [Fri Sep 03 10:01:25 2010].658000
> msDrawMap(): Layer 1 (meanspringpeakflow), 24.500s. :o(
>
> I do wonder if my Mapfile layer definition is just v.poor (admittedly no
> expert!) so have taken an excerpt of the layer defintion (there are about 15
> classes in all) - views anyone, should I be loading it a different way?
>
> Also Jukka, could I get a sample of your scale dependent WMS GROUP layer map
> code - as it sounds like a great idea maybe for this but also some v.hi-res
> model grids I am thinking about.
>
> Thanks again, much appreciated!
> Chris
>
> LAYER
>   NAME "meanspringpeakflow"
>   TYPE polygon
>   DEBUG 5
>   DATA "Tide"
>   TEMPLATE void
>   PROJECTION
>    "+proj=utm +zone=31 +ellps=GRS80 +units=m +no_defs"
>   END
>   METADATA
>     "DESCRIPTION" "Mean Spring Peak Flow"
>     "RESULT_FIELDS" "ID,DISTANCE,DEPTH,MEAN_SP_PC"
>     "RESULT_HEADERS" "ID,Minimum Distance (m),Average Depth (m),Mean Spring
> Peak Flow (m/s)"
>     "ows_title"      "meanspringpeakflow"
>     "RESULT_HYPERLINK" "ID|| Load graphing tool"
>   END  # Metadata
>         CLASS
>             NAME '> 4.00 (m/s) '
>             EXPRESSION ([MEAN_SP_PC] >= 4 AND [MEAN_SP_PC] < 4.5)
>             STYLE
>                 COLOR 135 99 64
>             END #end style
>         END # end class
>         CLASS
>             NAME '3.51 - 4.00'
>             EXPRESSION ([MEAN_SP_PC] >= 3.5 AND [MEAN_SP_PC] < 4)
>             STYLE
>
>                 COLOR 158 126 63
>             END #end style
>         END # end class
> etc etc

you can speed things up a little by simplifying your expressions in
case mean_sp_pc is a continous value:

class
  expression ([item]>=4)
end
class
  expression ([item]>=3.5)  #this suffices and implies [item] <4 as
all entries with [item]>=4 wil have been treated by the first class
end
class
   ...etc...
end