[mapserver-users] mapserver best practices with WFS getFeatureInfo?

rai 8 max1000 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 10:25:28 EDT 2010

hi,

I'm working in a application that uses mapserver to serve images with wms
and single points with wfs, in the client side there is a openlayers script.
This already works.

Another functionality is when user selects a feature or click in a image the
aplication must show some information, like text in table next to the map,
depending on the options that user sets.

My doubt is about the way to comunicate client and server. The simpler way
is to detect with openlayer what has been selected, and send a request to
php server script with necessary parameters like id,etc...
I prefer to use WFS, with getFeatureInfo, because is more maintainable and
standard, but I don't know how to do this with mapserver.
The posibilities I think:
- create a layer for every option that user can select, every layer knows
what information has to been send.
- with openlayers send additional parameters with the url , and parse with
mapserver( I don't know if it is possible, maybe with a php_mapscript or a
filter in conection section )
- runtime substitution of the mapfile or Changing map file parameters via a
form or a URL

What is the best option?

Also, one of this information source is a java class, I must to compile
mapserver to get a Java support or is more easier to create a wfs server
with geotools?

Thank you for any answers.