[mapserver-users] SVG, PDF and Flash output in MapServer 6.0.

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Sep 10 16:08:34 EDT 2010

  Hi,

Thank you for your information on future plans about output based on Cairo.

Regarding the SVG support, my main concern is that if the output goes
through Cairo than there is no chance of adding attributes and semantics
to the vector features in SVG - am I correct? In SVG one could f.e.
embed title and description elements, as well as non-graphical
attributes in a separate namespace in the XML output. Now that SVG
support will be widespread in all browsers (IE9 will be implementing
SVG), I would assume that people would make more use of SVG output, also
for interactive maps. In this setup it would be nice if one could have
the option between a pure graphical output (probably the CAIRO output
version) and a more semantically rich output (a separate output driver?)
I would recommend to go with Cairo, but leave the door open for another,
alternative output driver for more sophisticated SVG output.

Regarding SWF: it would be better if Flash would die in the long run -
it is not part of the open web and a black box. All browser project now
seem committed to implement SVG and canvas. So I myself wouldn't care if
you would drop SWF support. Other users may think different.

Just my two cents,
Andreas