[mapserver-users] Dissolve Tool?

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Sep 17 04:34:50 EDT 2010

Hi,

I guess that the "Union by attribute" function in OpenJUMP might be close to what you want (Tools - Analysis - One layer - Union by attribute value).  Download the nightly snapshot from http://openjump.org and unzip.  Increase Java memory setting in the launch file that is located in the \bin -directory. The file is openjump.bat for Windows, openjump.sh for Linux. The value you will need to increase is "-Xmx256M".  Try something like "Xmx1400M".  Lets hope it is enough for your dataset.  OpenJUMP keeps all the data in  memory and it is not sure that it can handle your data.  I am remembering that with 32 bit Windows it is not possible to increase memory above about 1500M even if the computer has more but I have read about 64 bit Linux user who was super happy with 6 gigabytes.

I had a try with Vmap0 World boundaries and union by REGION made me for example Europe and Asia multipolygons. Operation has an option for removing the common boundaries where it is possible, and another one for summing up the numeric fields. I suppose this is very close to what you want.

-Jukka Rahkonen-