[mapserver-users] Re: Raster Display Performance

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Sep 20 04:59:12 EDT 2010

Hi,

I believe the information about tileindex is is old and index is
nowadays utilised even with "index.shp". It does not harm to use just
plain "index", though.

When it comes to the original question by goncalo, which was

> I am using mapserver to create a tiling server. Actually I have this
server
> working good but I realize that I have some performance issues. I am
using
> MapServer in windows and my raster images are too large TIF files.
> (resolution 17000x16000 each tif).
> I have read a lot in this forum and I did all the recommended thing:

> gdal_translate -co "TILED=YES" old.tif new.tif
> gdaladdo new.tif 2 4 8 16 32 64 128
> gdaltindex index.shp new.tif
> shptree index.shp
> The problem is I dind't see increased performance after that.

Could you, goncalo, describe the performance issues you have with the
gdalinfo report of the original images. Also, add DEBUG 5 into your
LAYER, do some image readings and have a look at the MS_ERRORFILE, there
will be some cold numbers about how long time image processing takes.
Your process and the mapfile you sent were building a raster layer from
one single image file that was used through tileindex. Is this really
your situation?

-Jukka Rahkonen-