[mapserver-users] how does mapserver determine shapefile encoding?

Carlos Ruiz boolean10001 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 2 16:01:13 EDT 2011

Lars,

When you try to load some data to a PostgreSQL server, you can specify the encoding to use.

This can be done with client_encoding. For example, if you want to populate a table with some CSV file contents, you have

to do the following:

SET client_encoding = 'LATIN1';
COPY my_table FROM '/usr/file.csv' WITH CSV

Now, when you use shp2pgsql you can't set the client encoding, but you can set the default client_encoding of your

database and every data transfer between some client and your database will be encoded properly:

ALTER DATABASE my_database SET client_encoding = 'LATIN1'

Hope this helps

Cheers from Guadalajara, México

IC Carlos Ruiz