[mapserver-users] how does mapserver determine shapefile encoding?

Lars Lingner gislars+list at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 2 16:34:54 EDT 2011

Hello Carlos,

I should have been be more precise. By using all the tools, shp2pgsql,
iconv, recode I set the "source encoding" parameter. And I tried
different encodings.

My database is configured for utf8. But the problem arise before the
data is send to the database.

With shp2pgsql I generated an sql file, containing wrong character strings.

With ogr2ogr I tried to convert to csv or json just for testing, but
without success.
Depending on the encoding I get garbage or the error message that the
data couldn't be converted to utf8.

Thank you for your answer.

Lars