[mapserver-users] MsJSON Mapfile to JSON converter

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Wed Aug 3 07:46:12 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I developed a Mapfile to JSON converter for a current project and I want
to share the software with the community. The MsJSON converter uses
mapscript and Python to do the conversion, so these are a requirement
for the usage. MsJSON is released under LGPL license.

I've tested the converter so far under Python 2.5 and 2.6 on Debian
Squeeze and Ubuntu Hardy Heron with mapscript 5.6.5 (Debian) and
mapscript 6.0.0 (Ubuntu (UbuntuGIS repo)). Unfortunately my OSGeo4W
installation gives me an DLL error on loading mapscript, so I cannot
test that for now. But I expect that there will be problems on other
systems and mapscript versions, so please consider the software as beta
until I can do more tests. But it *should* work at least a little bit on
some systems ;-)

Concerning tests, there's a test directory in the package, and if you've
got nose installed you can test the software on your system before
installing it. Simply run `nosetests` in the project directory. The
package also comes with the html documentation.

You can obtain the software from pypi[1] or from bitbucket[2] and
there's also the documentation[3]!

I hope you find this little piece of software useful like I have found
Mapserver and the community around it very useful.

At the moment the converter is not 100% feature complete as it lacks the
conversion of some mapfile definitions. This is sometimes due to
mapscript itself (e.g. map.outputformatlist) or because I have not added
the concerned parameter to the converter yet. The bitbucket page has an
issues section where I want to catch any issues I or someone else
encounters.

Any feedback is welcome :-)

Frank

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/msjson/