[mapserver-users] advice on books

PORTER.DANIEL PORTER.DANIEL at flsenate.gov
Fri Aug 5 13:43:29 EDT 2011

John,

I believe there is only one English book out on OpenLayers, called "OpenLayers 2.10 Beginner's Guide" (https://www.packtpub.com/openlayers-2-1-javascript-web-mapping-library-beginners-guide/book), which as the name says, it's a beginner's guide.  He assumes little technical knowledge, which makes it very good for getting your bearings.  If you can figure out what to do from the OpenLayers examples and API docs, I don't know that it has much to offer.  If you're struggling with that, I think it would be excellent (disclosure: I worked with Erik, the author of the book).

I have read that this mapserver book is somewhat outdated: http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-MapServer-Source-Development-Experts/dp/1590594908  I have not seen it, though.  It's the only one I know about.

Daniel