[mapserver-users] Bug or User error? MINSIZE not working

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Feb 5 21:07:04 EST 2011

Hi Thomas,

I'm using the AGG renderer which is really great by the way. Thank you
for all the work you did on this and all the graphics drivers.

The data I'm dealing with is country sub-divisions, like provinces or
regions in a country for all of the world. The problem is that in some
small countries in that have lots of regions, the lines obliterate or
fill the country at some zoom levels. The way I have resorted to deal
with this is to compute the lengths of the cartographic boundary lines,
and then FILTER ([LENGTH] >= nnnnn) where I adjust the value of nnnnn to
a value that looks good on the map at the scale I'm working with.

This does require setting up multiple LAYERs if you need to set up
different filters for different scales. Or you need to move FILTER into
the CLASS when the class is scale dependent, which you can't do now.

This is probably best anyway for performance because the length is
precomputed so the shape can be avoided totally based on the attribute.

Thanks,
   -Steve W