[mapserver-users] Image Symbol Rendering Quality

Adam Eskreis aeskreis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 15:24:45 EST 2011

Hey All,

I am having a strang problem with my map.  I am creating a layer composed
entirely of PNG symbols.  However, there is a very strang problem I am
experiencing:  Not all of the symbols are rendering iwth the same quality.
This is best seen with the following image:

http://img708.imageshack.us/i/symbolquality.png/

As you can see, the circled image is far more "crisp" than the rest of the
images, which appear blurry.  I've checked the image quality of the original
images for all these images that appear blurry, and they are all good
quality images that appear as crisp and clear as the circled image, but when
mapserver renders them, they are losing significant quality.  Why would this
image appear more clear than the others?

I am using AGG as my renderer, using pngs for input and output.  This is my
outputformat directive in the mapfile:

OUTPUTFORMAT
        NAME "AGGA"
        MIMETYPE "image/png; mode=24bit"
        DRIVER "AGG/PNG"
        IMAGEMODE "RGBA"
        TRANSPARENT TRUE
        EXTENSION "PNG"
        FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=FALSE"
    END

Any ideas or help would be great.  Thanks.

-Adam