[mapserver-users] 3D Building Howto?

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Mon Feb 14 18:34:57 EST 2011

Maybe this is a GEOMTRANSFORM function in 6.0 speak? You could do something like:

  GEOMTRANSFORM (extrude(some view parameters, [height]))

Where the first few arguments define a view position and the last argument is height. Neat thing about this approach that height could be a constant or a bound to an attribute. The extrude function would generate the sides, top and bottom based on view parameters and a height. It could even (perhaps) create multiple features mirrored on the outline but with extended attributes that would define things like top vs. side vs. bottom, or whether a facet side is visible or not.

If done outside of STYLEs (e.g. a layer-level GEOMTRANSFORM) then one could draw things differently based on these pseudo attributes (e.g. if a side and visible do this).

Steve