[mapserver-users] Heatmap / choropleth from points attributes

Daniel Cole daniel at southernsolutionsms.com
Tue Feb 22 22:06:33 EST 2011

I am a new mapserver user and have spent countless hours over the last month
reading, trying code, etc. before posting here for help.  I am trying to
generate an image (non-interactive) on a webpage based off of attribute data
in a points file.  For example, 20 different points equally distributed in a
field contain data about the moister level of the soil.  I want to make the
lowest levels blue and the highest levels yellow, or something like that
with some gradients in between.  If possible I want it to have interpolated
data between them to show the gradual change, but that isn't a must.   I
also want to wrap it in a polygon that trims the edges.

I found some python code that I thought might do the trick , but it seems
lots of heat maps are based off of how many points exist in a certain area,
and thats now what I am doing.

My points contain numbers in the attributes, 5, 25, 92, 71, etc.   I feel
like I am missing some easy way to do this right in front of me with gdal or
something.  If someone has any direction or even demo code that would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel