[mapserver-users] Raster dataset recommendations

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Feb 25 14:23:33 EST 2011

On 11-02-25 9:41 AM, Chris Jackson wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a largish raster dataset (2 GB) of hi resolution data points with
> a small geographical footprint.  What would people recommend as the best
> way to prepare and then call data in the map file (with rendering
> performance in mind).  It isn't going to be a basemap and the output
> legend will be based on the pixel value (e.g. wave height).
>
> Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hi Chris,

The guys have responded already with great recommendations (geotiff is
indeed still the best way to rock with rasters); I'd like to add,
regarding performance, that you'll see similar results with MapServer on
both Unix and Windows, as shown by the results in the recent WMS
Benchmarking exercise
(http://www.slideshare.net/gatewaygeomatics.com/wms-performance-shootout-2010).

-jeff

--