[mapserver-users] Raster dataset recommendations

Jean-François Gigand jean-francois at gigand.fr
Fri Feb 25 17:02:36 EST 2011

Hi,

Thanks for these advises!

I take the opportunity of this topic to ask a similar question.
I have a larger data set (400 Go) in about 24000 GeoTIFFs files, using
the method described by Edi (tiled, internal overviews, index shape).
It works pretty well (older version of MapServer), with on-the-fly
reprojection, quick enough when the resolution is small-enough.

My first question is about the right tile size. What should I take
into account to seek the right balance between many small files and
fewer bigger files?
With too many files, I guess I should build external overviews as
well. Also, do the 24000 files make a performance penalty for file
access (stat() call)? Are TFW files checked even with geocoded tiffs?

Second question: what about WKT raster, or the new raster support
within PostGIS?
I would love to use it, for the power of SQL queries. Is it really
slower than GeoTIFF?
Is it well suited for very large datasets?

Any advise on this would be very helpful. Thanks!

JF