[mapserver-users] Re: Raster dataset recommendations

Edi.Karadumi edikaradumi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 17:36:09 EST 2011

Jean, thats my problem too.
I haven't resolved it yet the perfect way, but i have created mosaics of the
data with lowered resolution, and a lower number of tiles . The number of
tiles that are requested to see the map increases when you zoom out, so it
needs to seek and read the tiles. Having them in different HD will make the
displaying of the map faster because you will have more than one hd that
does the seek/read process. The idea is that in your zoom levels you dont
need more than four tiles to display the image. So youll have to calculate
the mapserver resolution, image resolution and map control size. I have more
than 3 terabytes of data in 15000 tiles and i created another mosaic with
1.5 terabytes and ~ 4000 tiles. And so on. My main problem is determining
the scale when to switch from one mosaic to the other and i resolved it with
testing the speed of the response. Maybe this time someone will have an idea
to this post.