[mapserver-users] mapserver defunct

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jan 11 13:05:23 EST 2011

Here is an explanation of defunct processes:

I'm sure there are others. So since you are running fastcgi, it is the
responsibility of the fastcgi parent process to clean up dead child
processes. It is likely that it is busy because you are doing load
testing or there is some subtle issue that is occurring. If you are
getting good responses from mapserver, you probably do not need to worry
about it unless you are getting tons of them.

If you are using apache, I believe there is a parameter that you can set
for fastcgi processes which will let them die after N requests. This
should clean those up and apache will spawn a new process if needed to
replace the that died.

-Steve W