[mapserver-users] Label text always clipped by tiles

Jean-François Gigand jean-francois at gigand.fr
Wed Jan 26 11:12:11 EST 2011

I'm not sure if the issue is related to the renderer.
My issue is met on both AGG and GD, and is perfectly understandable:
MapServer requests vector data only within the BBOX. So the rendered
image misses symbols which are drawn from outside feature, even though
they should be visible on the image because of their size.
Same for labels: they are incomplete because missing on the tiles
whose BBOX do not contain the geometry they were created from.

TileCache is the solution. Set "metaBuffer" to the double of the maximum
size in pixels of your symbols.

A youger project following TileCache concepts is mod-geocache. It
seems to support metaBuffer and metaTiles (haven't tested it yet):
http://code.google.com/p/mod-geocache/

Jeff