[mapserver-users] Label text always clipped by tiles

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Wed Jan 26 12:13:31 EST 2011

On 1/26/2011 9:05 AM, Mike Stoddart wrote:
> I admit I haven't checked but does Google et al suffer the same problem?

If you mean overlaying your data atop Google, say a small dataset
expressable as KML, that should work A-OK. If it's pure vector data
being rendered client-side, tiling wouldn't be an issue at all. But of
course, that's where we leave MapServer Land and get into Google Earth,
Google Maps, etc.

If you mean "how did Google do it?" on their basemap I don't know
entirely. They seem to have avoided (or later corrected) a lot of
tile-edge artifacts. Their mechanisms probably included a) a mapping
engine that positions labels to geographic points; b) large-scale
meta-tiling with terabytes of RAM; and c) a large staff of personnel for
QC and a few years of correcting reported issues.

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security

"No one cares if you can back up — only if you can recover."