[mapserver-users] Mapserver Storage

tigana.fluens at gmail.com tigana.fluens at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:57:25 EST 2011

Thank you for the prompt replies so far! : )

@Mark
Great, that's the first time I heard about that method. I'm doing a
reality check here haha sadly I dont think we can do that kind of work
as of now (skill-wise) and money is an issue as well as EC2 instances
cost so much more for small startups although im aware that as the
computing needs grow larger the AWS platform increases its value so
much. Do you typically use this setup for new projects?

@Paul
Ok at least we can cross S3/EBS or any similar service out of our "what
if" list. Not to mention it's so damn expensive when you get to that
amount of data. For the Backblaze solution I think that would work very
well for backups or archiving purposes but I'm really concerned about
storage that is viable for working with raster images and other files
mapserver renders.

Unfortunately, im not a hardware guy although trying my best to
understand all of these :D
What do you exactly mean by pathetic I/O on S3/EBS?

@Bobb
You said you went through the route of multiple CPUs, meaning you had
many mapserver machines? In your opinion is RAID 1+0 a good enough
config for something mapserver can work on?

@All
Does this imply that getting a single dedicated with mass storage
(everything is there, mapserver itself and the data) is not a good idea?

And lastly, what is the best practice on storing raster images? Im not
sure if you can do this with mapserver but assuming you have 1 "raster
map" can you divide the images into 10 huge tiles and let mapserver put
them together at runtime? If so, what is a good way to go about it? Like
do you partition it into 1GB images?