[mapserver-users] Mapserver WMS server, IIS and wrong content-type

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Jul 4 10:56:07 EDT 2011

Hello Oliver,

Here is some more info, taken from
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngstatus.html :

"As a related item, note that Microsoft's Internet Information Server
(a.k.a. IIS) shipped by default without an explicit MIME type for PNG
images until version 6, which effectively meant that it treated PNGs as
application/octet-stream rather than image/png. Not surprisingly, this
affected only non-Microsoft web browsers connecting to IIS servers; they
rightly refused to display such mislabelled PNGs. Fortunately, Microsoft
did finally correct the problem with the release of IIS 6.0 in 2003, and
a fix is available for older versions (at least for version 4.0)."

So that goes along with my initial ideas.

Anyway those are my quick thoughts on your problem with your client's
IIS instance.  If you want to contact me directly and we can work
through this together with your client please do.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/