[mapserver-users] Re: how to create a base map and serve it with WMS

Mark Korver mwkorver at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:02:39 EDT 2011

Yes, MapServer is all about making appropriately scaled maps on the
fly, and lot more.  To get started you need to go through a tutorial
on MapServer, how to create map files, get base image layer working
etc.

I am not up to date on what good newbie tutorials are out there.
Maybe somebody could chime in.

"Static" just refers to the fact that some layers in map change less
frequently than do others.  For example GPS location of a car will
need change constantly while the road the car is on changes only
occasionally.