[mapserver-users] Symbol not showing up in MapServer 6.0.0-beta1 release

Anzel, Phil - Fort Collins, CO Phil.Anzel at ftc.usda.gov
Fri Mar 11 08:35:38 EST 2011

Hi, Thomas,

Thanks for looking into this problem.

My goal is to create a "railroad" cross-hatching along a line. I originally used:
    SYMBOL
      NAME 'default'
      Type simple
    END
    SYMBOL
      NAME 'tie'
      TYPE vector
      POINTS 0 0  0 7  -99 -99  7 0  7 7  END
    END
These were referenced, within a layer of type "line", by:
   CLASS
     STYLE
       SYMBOL            'default'
       SIZE              1
       COLOR             0 0 0
     END
     STYLE
      SYMBOL             'tie'
      SIZE               8
      COLOR              0 0 0
     END
   END

This had worked under MapServer 5.6.3. I returned to this example after upgrading to 5.7DEV on March 9, 2011, and found that the "tie" cross-hatching had disappeared. I tried several other symbols; I used the "circle" as an example because it also worked in the past and is used in the MapServer "Introduction to MapServer", section 2.4.3, "CLASS and STYLE objects".

Closer to the 2.4.3 example, if I define:
  symbol
    name 'circle'
    filled true
    type ellipse
    points 0 0 1 1 end
  end
and reference this definition, as per the example, with:
     style
       symbol "circle"
       color 178 114 1
       size 15
     end
     style
       symbol "circle"
       color 254 161 0
       size 7
     end
then there is no image created.

Given these experimental results, I wonder if there has been a change in behavior in drawing symbols. Alternatively I've made a very simple error.

Is there an error in my map file? How do you recommend that the "railroad" hatched line be drawn?

Thanks again.

- Phil