[mapserver-users] Querying a WMS layer with data input from MySQL?

kngai kevin.ngai at ec.gc.ca
Fri Mar 18 17:31:27 EDT 2011

Hi,
I'm a new user of MapServer. So far I've mainly used it to display
ShapeFiles via WMS on an OpenLayers application I'm developing.

I now have polygons stored in a MySQL table (stored as a WKT format in a
POLYGON column). I'm able to display it as a layer just fine via a WMS
request, but I want to be able to display a specific polygon from a row.
That is, I want to be able to query the MySQL data input when requesting
this layer. Right now, I have something like this in my Mapfile for the
Layer parameter:

TYPE	POLYGON
CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
CONNECTION "MySQL:customtable,user=user,password=****"
DATA	 "SELECT custom_polygon FROM mytable WHERE fid=2"

I want to be able to perform a WMS request with parameters that can allow me
to query the layer (where fid can be changed). For example:
http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&FORMAT=image/png&...LAYERS=custompoly&...fid=33&...

Can this sort of thing be done on MapServer?