[mapserver-users] Negative GAP parameter to rotate vector symbols along line

Bartłomiej Burkot pomiarowiec10 at poczta.onet.pl
Wed Mar 30 09:10:11 EDT 2011

Hi Users

I would like to render a vector symbol along the line in a layer. This
vector symbol should be rotated according to orientation of linesegments
(for example a arrow along one way street). When I use negative GAP with
truetype symbol it work perfectly but I have probelms with vector
symbols to rotate them.

I use this definition of Symbol but it doesn't work:

SYMBOL
     NAME "testsymbol"
    TYPE VECTOR
   POINTS
     5 0
     2 1
     0 2.5
     2 4
     5 5
     5 5
     2 6
     0 7.5
     2 9
     5 10
   END
     STYLE 1 8 1 18 END
     GAP -99 # doesn't work
END

I read in docu http://mapserver.org/mapfile/symbol.html that:

"When drawing the symbol along a line segment, a negative GAP will will
add 180 degress to the angle. The TrueType and PixMap symbols are always
oriented along the line."

My layer definiton is:

LAYER
   NAME testtest
   STATUS on
   TYPE line
   TRANSFORM false
   FEATURE
     WKT "LINESTRING (0 0, 100 100, 0 100)"
   END
   CLASS

     STYLE
         #ANGLE AUTO
         SYMBOL "testsymbol"
         COLOR 0 255 0
         #SIZE    8
     END
   END
END

Does vectorsymbol play with negative GAP parameter?
Bartek