[mapserver-users] Raster image performance

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 11 14:51:35 EST 2011

Ian,

I am guessing you actually have many files, not just one big
one.  Is that right?  As you zoom out opening many files to
accumulate the full image is expensive.   Up to some scale
it is practical to merge things into one big mosaic tiff with overviews.
At some point that can be impractically large.

The usual practice to avoid opening too many files with tileindexed
layers is to have two LAYERs in your map file.  One for the fuller
resolution data, and then another at greatly reduced resolution
and then to generate a reduced resolution mosaic for the reduced
resolution layer.  Use the MIN/MAX SCALE control keyword in the
LAYER to control which is used.

Best regards,