[mapserver-users] high memory usage on map draw

Daniele Debernardi daniele at geosar.ch
Tue Nov 29 03:20:34 EST 2011

Hi,
with mapserver trunk version (but i think with others too) I have to
generate very big map to be imported in a pdf file.
I use php mapscript to generate maps with 300 dpi for an A1/A0 pdf page
or bigger.
This mean that the map has dimensions like 15000x25000 pxl and when I
call the MapObj->draw method i get this error:

PHP Warning:  mapObj::draw(): [MapServer Error]: agg2CreateImage():
mapagg.cpp: 708: Out of memory allocating 1550851152 bytes.

Map server is configured with the AGG/PNG driver with imagemode RGBA.

Is it normal that need so much memory to generate the image?

I already tryied the php ini_set memory_limit but with a limit of 2048M
i still have some problem with memory.

I checked other possible outputs but generating maps in pdf through
Cairo driver but doc says that polygons filled with symbols are not
supported, and for that reason I cant use it.
SVG output has some limitations too like line drawn without symbols or
pixmap symbols not supported.

Is there a better way to generate so big map images and imported in a
pdf file?

Hope you guys can help me.

Daniele