[mapserver-users] WMS GetMap request - incorrect layer ordering

John Cartwright john.c.cartwright at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 12:34:14 EDT 2011

Following up on this a bit, it appears that

 with shp2img:
1) order of LAYERs defined in the map file matters, order of the parameters in the "-l" parameter does not.
2) "STATUS default" causes a layer to always be drawn in the expected order.

with the WMS GetMap request:
1) order of LAYERs defined in the map file does not matter, but the order in the "layers" request parameter does.
2) "STATUS default" causes a layer to always be drawn, but at the bottom of the stack. Presence or order of a "STATUS default" layer in the "layers" request parameter does not change it's position nor does redefining it's position in the map file.

--john