[mapserver-users] AIXM support via WFS?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Sun Oct 16 09:56:52 EDT 2011

On 11-10-15 06:39 AM, Ákos Maróy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if mapserver supports handling AIXM data, and if it would
> expose AIXM data via WFS to WFS clients?

I never heard of AIXM myself until now, and found the following info
about the format:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIXM

So it seems that AIXM is a GML schema. MapServer supports GML (at least
simple GML schemas) using CONNECTIONTYPE OGR, so I'd suggest you give it
a try and see.

The first step would be to try to run 'ogrinfo' against an AIXM file and
see if it can be read properly. The file may have to be renamed to a
.gml extension to be recognized (not sure). More info about the OGR GML
driver is available at See also http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_gml.html  In
the end, if 'ogrinfo' can read the file then MapServer should be happy
serving it.

However keep in mind that GML being an XML format, performance will be
sub-optimal on large files, and you may want to convert your data to a
more optimal format such as shapefiles or postgis using 'ogr2ogr'.

For further questions about OGR's support of AIXM files I would
recommend the gdal-dev list.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/