AW: [mapserver-users] Mapserver Projection Errors

Eichner, Andreas - SID-NLKM Andreas.Eichner at sid.sachsen.de
Thu Oct 20 04:31:46 EDT 2011

> mapserver log fills up with the error message
>
>    msProcessProjection(): Projection library error.
> projection not named

As Daniel already noted, the error you receive can be translated as
"'proj' argument missing". Since MS uses the number of arguments _and_
the existence of '+' to decide wether to interpret the PROJECTION block
as a one-liner or as a list of projection parameters, I guess you mixed
them somehow.

So
>   PROJECTION
>      "init=epsg:4326"
>   END
is interpreted as a list of projection parameters with only one entry
and

>   PROJECTION
>      "+proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0 +no_defs"
>   END
is interpreted as a one-liner which will be split into a list of
parameters before invoking the pj_init() function. If you accidentially
forget the quotes or '+' in one of your projection blocks it might be
misinterpreted and therefore throw the error.
Walk through your MAP file and make sure you use either one-liners using
a single quoted string or a list of quoted parameters one at a line.
Your examples are correct and the latter equals

PROJECTION
  "proj=longlat"
  "ellps=WGS84"
  "towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0"