[mapserver-users] character encoding

Chris Jackson webturtles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 11:59:45 EDT 2011

Hi all

I am having some issues with special characters in my application (sure I am
not the first!) and wondered what the best way is to 'clean up' the data so
I know it is specifically in a given format say UTF-8 or ISO. My source data
was from KML -> shp using ArcGIS 10 (though who knows what the kml format
was!).  One would assume if using ArcMap on a UK machine would give you an
ISO output....  Should I copy the characters back into the attribute table
via ArcGIS (but what program should I use to copy the characters from -
Word...).  I did use the ArcGIS export registry setting to export my
supposed ISO shapfile to UTF-8 format (but the label rendering is wrong).
 Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Chris