[mapserver-users] querying with mode=tile

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 23:25:20 EDT 2011

On Sep 10, 2011, at 10:03 PM, Prabu Raja wrote:

> http://mapserver.org/cgi/controls.html?highlight=mapxy

Thanks Prabu.

To the MapServer developers/documenters --

On the page provided above, I note 5 instances of "mapxy". Only the following one is vaguely indicative of being useful in queries because of the last three words "User with queries."

"MAPXY [x] [y] , MAPXY (shape)
A point, in the same coordinate system as the shapefiles, to be used in conjuction with a buffer or a scale to construct a map extent.
Can be set to shape as an alternative option. In this case mapextent is set to the extent of a selected shape. Used with queries."

I am curious as to how I could have figured out that mode=query combined with mapxy=lng+lat would have been sufficient for querying by point? I do genuinely want to know.

Additionally, just below that MAPXY entry, there is the write-up no MODEs. Granted, the text warns that "note that all of the query modes also support map-only modes, e.g. ITEMQUERYMAP, which for brevity are not all listed," where would I read up on mode=tile other than at [http://mapserver.org/output/tile_mode.html], the latter page strangely saying that it is revision 9817 updated on

> Date:	$Date: 2010-02-20 11:35:53 -0800 (Sat, 20 Feb 2010) $
> Last Updated:	2008/04/30

Hmmmm...