[mapserver-users] Generic template for WMS GetFeatureInfo

Steve Lime sdlime at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 05:10:41 EDT 2011

See http://mapserver.org/output/template_output.html for more info. The idea
was to wrap templates in output formats so you can support multiple output
types with a single mapfile. You'd have to do that with multiple layers
using the old scheme. Plus one template can reference many layers so there
are Far less files to manage. -Steve

On Monday, September 19, 2011, Hollingbery, Julian <julho at kms.dk> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> thanks for the tip. Most of my users have desktop GIS systems (MapInfo,
ArcMap, etc.), but I might test whether these support a JavaScript-based
solution.
> In the mean time, could you expand a bit on the "new-style templates"? All
I have done so far is according to
http://mapserver.org/mapfile/template.html#template, and I don't remember
that this says anything about inclusion of subtemplates.

> Julian
> ________________________________

with a little JavaScript. Those tags output a delimited list of items and
values for a feature or set of features. You could split the output into
arrays and display however you like. The attributes are just slammed
together into 1 comma delimited string, so this approach won't work if your
attribute data contains commas I fear. The same template in theory could be
used for any layer then... You could use new-style templates (e.g. Via
output formats) with template includes and handle this with 2 files- the
main template and the shared include...
> I notice those tags aren't documented so I'll create a ticket to do so.
Should also probably enhance those tags, at least the values one, to take
some simple formatting options.
> Steve
>
> Sent from my iPad
> On Sep 14, 2011, at 8:39 AM, "Hollingbery, Julian" <julho at kms.dk> wrote:
>
> Hi list,
>
> I too want to serve GetFeatureInfo requests. However, I wonder if it is
necessary to have a template per layer, when all I want to do is "show all
attribute values in a HTML table". The thing is, I have a handful of
services with approx. 40 layers in each. Each layer has on average a dozen
attributes, so all in all, I am looking to simplify maintenance of 2000 HTML
table cells. Has anyone done anything in a script or otherwise, so that one
can use the same template file on layers with varying attribute lists?

> I am considering utilising the fact that a TEMPLATE statement can
reference a URL: I imagine that this might refer to a PHP-script, which
takes e.g. a database table name, and returns a HTML response with the
column names. Has anyone done anything like this?