[mapserver-users] Problem with ODBC connection

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Dec 4 09:58:33 PST 2012

On 12/4/2012 12:45 PM, Bistrais, Bob wrote:
> I want to read the contents of the dbf from a shapefile.  I set up an
> ODBC connection, and have been successful on a development machine, in
> that I can read the dbf and get the results I was looking for.  However,
> when I move the application to another server, I get the following error
> message:
>
> Warning: odbc_connect(): SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]
> Data source name not found and no default driver specified, SQL state
> IM002 in SQLConnect in
> C:\ms4w_304\apps\geoparcels\htdocs\php\selectparcel.php on line 14
>
> Could Not Connect to ODBC Database!
>
> I was under the impression that MapServer had built-in suffort for
> shapefiles and DBF.  I checked over the php.ini file, but didn’t find
> anything.  So I am confused as to why this code works on one machine and
> not another.  Any ideas what to look for?

It does have native support for reading shapefiles. But if you are using
OGR that is not mapserver native support.

What does you LAYER definition look like?

Also the you reference php.ini are you using mapscript? Then you might
be using a PHP to read the shpaefile and not mapserver.

You need to show us more of what you are trying to do. Then we can
probably help slove this.

-Steve W.